The Gales Storm Gathering event Oct 11-13, 2013 is intended as a fun, invigorating sea kayaking instructional event for students looking to gain experience “in conditions” on the Great Lakes. We all want to know what variables change for rolling, rescues, towing, leadership, and group management once the placid waters of summer have dissipated.
The Great Lakes offer a terrific opportunity for sea kayakers to experience the beauty of lumpy conditions. Lake Superior has a variety of wind conditions, sea states, and waves in autumn. Often students will seek training in far flung locales 0n the east coast, west coast, or overseas; when in fact our freshwater seas offer this exact sort of paddling environment right next door. This coupled with some very world class coaches can make for the best learning experience.
The Gales Storm Gathering aims to:
- build confidence in existing skills
- reinforce good habits learned on flat water in wind and waves
- correct bad habits applied on flat-water with real world experiences surrounded by top notch rough water coaches
- teach safe, fun paddling in beautiful surroundings
- provide access to top coaches from the area and abroad for one on one coaching